Friday, June 19, 2009

As with most summers, the last few weeks have flown by. Why is it that summers are still so much fun even here where the weather doesn’t change all that much? I will admit it’s been the coolest temperatures since we got to country lately, but still hot.
Between all the summer volunteers, the new group of PCTs, and even PCV’s from other countries visiting Ghana I’ve been meeting people from all over. Having Jake stay with me last week reinforced my opinion that I have a pretty amazing job. The best part about it is that I get to meet all these people but they only come to my village for a few hours so I still get to live most of my life with Ghanaians. It’s a very rare mix even in PC to be able to see many volunteers yet still live Ghanaian style.
Jake was a trouper and tried everything that I did including going on a run with me, eating Fufu, washing cloths, and even cooked breakfast for us twice. Mom sent bacon bits so we had fresh eggs, tomato, onion, and BACON sandwiches, amazing. We also met up with other PC people on the beach in Afloa (border town that you can see Togo’s capital from) where we played basketball on the court from White Man Can’t Jump and proved the movie true losing horribly. While standing in the water there I decided my US friends should be there too so I used all the credit on my phone calling them, well worth it.
My neighbor Matthew and I spent a morning cutting my grass with cutlasses. When we were about 10 minutes from being done he hit the plastic pipe that brings my water (yes I usually have running water) and it started spraying everywhere. While he ran to fetch the “plumber” I figured out how to turn off the water. The guy came as fast as he could, meaning he borrowed a bike, and brought with him a piece of pipe and a blade. We told him I did it because obviously an American would hit the pipe, not a Ghanaian. He asked for some matches and I watched as he started a fire, heated the plastic, molded it to the right size and after 2 tries had it all fixed, it took a while but I was impressed.
I also had power issues. I figured it was just lights out for the day but when I noticed my neighbor’s power on I went and checked into it. Bills are put on your house but there is no where in town to pay them. Guys come around to tell you to pay the bill but you can’t pay them, so I had given money to Mukaila to pay mine. Mukaila forgot to pay it so they cut my power. I rode all over town asking around and finally found the guy turning off power. I paid my bill and he agreed to come turn the power back on if he got to ride my bike to do it and if I bought him a Guinness. Cost me a beer but now I’m back to having power about 60% of the time.
I also started my 2nd kente pattern. The guys at the store didn’t think I’d be able to handle it but Bright said I could. After a few inches I decided the first strip would be practice. It was a good call as that strip leaves to be desired but the next 2 have come out really well. There aren’t many better ways to spend a warm afternoon then weaving kente in an African village with buds like Bright and Joshua.

No comments: