Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I totally forgot about the fruit here in the last blog! We get fruit as desserts, you do that to anyone in the states and they'd be like what the..? Here we're like heck ya. Pineapple, mango, oranges, tangerines, and apples are all pretty readily available and are pretty much amazing.
Fan Ice is milk and sugar pretty much frozen in a bag. You bite off a corner and suck it out. It comes in vanilla (tastes like frozen frosting), chocolate (those malteds you eat with a wood spoon), and strawberry yogurt (frozen Gogurt). Mikey, in a HUGE Texas accent, has been known to freak out when someone walks by with it. "HEEEY DAN, get Ya'll over here, they's got FANN ICE!" All water that I drink here also comes out of 1/2 liter bags. There is a big problem with this as the country is starting to be covered in trash, I will start using my purifier once I get running water.
The soccer match was a blast. The goals are logs in the ground with one across them usually. The field is mostly dirt. A big crowd came to watch cause there's not much else to do after church on Sunday. The trainers were short on players so I started on their team. The trainers had a 4 to 1 lead at half, one of the goals I scored but was booed by the rest of the volunteers. By half more trainers were there so I switched teams. We still lost but put up a good fight 7 to 3, when I scored in the second half for the trainees the cheers were super loud. This was just a warmup to the final on Dec 3rd. They're bringing in players from Accra but I think we still got a chance.
Tomorrow I get to teach my first AIDs lesson to an actual class. I'm not that nervous about it because I partnered up with a guy Adam, who is basically Kyle Lemoine when he's 26. They're both so similar it's scary. Kyle and I never really had trouble presenting so I'm confident him and I will not either, simple logic right?
They haven't given us our weekly allowance yet from last week so right now I'm poorer than poor. It's kinda fun. We usually get 2 cedis, like 2 dollars, a day and that's a stretch. Anyways things are going very well right now. I love hearing from everyone, please keep that up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the poor to the poor , from the email whiz to the turtle speed answerer, to our lovely you from those who miss you ,thanks so much for you & God's lovely people and world..." we all are under His same moon and stars"sister roberta

Anonymous said...

2 goals? Did you teach everyone your signature move? Hope not- best keep that as your secret weapon in the finals! Miss you, as always.

Jess