Sunday, July 12, 2009

Barack, BARACK, Barack, Obama

Lots going on at site but everything got put on hold for OBAMA!!
PC told us that we had been invited to come to Accra on Saturday to see Obama speak. They kinda made it sound like he was just going to be talking to us and that none of the trip expenses would be covered and most hotel rooms were booked. Would PCV's take off for the capital city where things are expensive, crime is high, and not many hotel rooms available to see the leader of the Free World? Is the Pope Catholic? I just left most valuables behind in case I had to sleep on the streets with friends.
Getting ready in my village to go see Obama was like a redneck going to prom. Everyone helped out. Matthew washed my good shirt and pants up because he know I'm not very good at hand washing. Bright went all around trying to find me shoes and kept asking if I had enough money. Emmanuel polished up his best pair of shoes for me (Adidas sandals just wouldn't do). Mr. Agba did a little dance and gave me the kente to make the vest for Obama. My tailor worked overtime and early the morning I left to get it done in time. I also might add that my last haircut was via Leatherman by Julie.
PCV's traveled by bus all night from all corners of Ghana, we slept 6 to a bed at a shady hotel, met at the embassy and waited hours in lines. The event ended up being his departure from Ghana! There were about 3000 tickets issued and PCV's got VIP tickets. VERY High Security, so high that I left the kente vest behind (will mail it to him). I had one short girl in front of me and then it was just 15 feet from the podium!!! Obama and his entire family were coming from the slave fort in Cape Coast and were flown in via helicopter, awesome, snipers and secret service and all. The president of Ghana joined him on stage and spoke first.
Obama gave a short speech on Ghana (link below) and talked about the PC a few times!! The first time he mentioned us we went CRAZY. Most of my pictures didn't turn out too great cause I was shaking so much. After national anthems Obama, Michelle, Atta Mills (Ghana President), and Teitelbaum (US Ambassador) walked around and shook the hands of people in the front rows. When he shook mine he looked at me (probably thought I was an idiot for my kente vest but little does he know he's getting one too) and said "You're doing a great job." I didn't know he's been to Kpetoe!! After that Michelle was doing a kinda shaking 2 hands at once thing and so we had an awkward backwards left hand shake. She did touch PCV Mikey on the cheek and say "What you're doing is amazing." Which was matched in class when PCV Marcus gripped Michelle's hand like they were gonna arm wrestle and screamed, "You are SOOO BEAUTIFUL!"
Then they flew off in Air Force One. I will never forget how much pride I had in my fellow PCV's, Ghana, and America.
Most my village was watching and saw me on Tv, they were so excited.

Quotes:
"I want to recognize our PCV who are here.....(cheering for at least 25 seconds) You know Ghana, Ghana was the very first nation to host young people from the Peace Corp and for decades our two nations have formed vital partnerships & lasting friendships because of this program. So all of you in the Peace Corps you are doing an outstanding job & we're proud of you". Barack Obama

"Young people of Africa ...... serve like these PC people, serve in communities, and harvest your energy & education to renew & build connections between the world."

Entire Speech. (if it still works)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLwpvzqlSv4

No comments: