Thursday, December 11, 2008

Election Results and Swearing In

Electoral Commission sources quote 49.13 percent of total valid votes cast for Nana Akufo-Addo of the New Patriotic Party, while Prof John Evans Atta Mills of the National Democratic Congress had 47.92 percent.

A total of 8,648,978 valid votes were recorded while a whopping 204,971 ballots representing 2.370 percent were rejected.

A run-off had been projected on Tuesday between Nana Addo and Prof Mills in the presidential race. Either man failed to obtain the required 50 percent of total votes plus one additional vote.

The Commission announced a date for the run-off of December 28.
(stolen from email from mom titled "should have voted for the chicken")

The election Sunday wasn't all that exciting around here. The results didn't come out until yesterday and the result was that they're going to have a run off on December 28th between the NPP and the NDC. There has been plenty of excitement in other areas of the country, including 15 to 20 deaths related to the election (insert mom freaking out). Don't worry mom, PC had us on lockdown. The real excitement will be during the runoff. The Country Director came and today and told us the great news...we'll be on "standfast" level during the surrounding days of the runoff. Those days are, no joke, Dec 24th to Jan 2nd. Standfast means that we are not allowed to leave our village, have to maintain contact, and have a bag ready to evac. All our Christmas and New Years plans went directly down the drain. Doesn't really feel like Christmas anyways, that doesn't mean I don't still LOVE Christmas though.
We moved out of homestays a few days ago so that means no Kwoko but I have some great pictures from our last day together. I get to see Momma Aggie and Nana tomorrow at our swearing in however. Our swearing in will be complete with American Ambassador, Ghanaian Politicians, language demonstrations and dancing by us! That's right, 2nd row 2nd dancer right here. Cynthia is right in front of me and she's pretty short and I can get my leg kick after the spin over her head sometimes. I hope the Ambassadors' impressed.
After tomorrow I'm officially a Peace Corps Volunteer, no more of the PCT stuff, it's PCV now. I'm happy training is over but will miss my buddies. I'm proud to say that we've more than doubled our euchre players throughout training. They all were trained by me so they talk smack, think the UP is like the Mecca of Euchre, and all want to table talk like Lisa and I used to. I won't tell them how to though however. Lisa, the PCT sitting next to me just saw her name and got really confused.
I've been in a great mood lately but it's hard not to be. We're about ready to start what we came here to do! Highlight of the week was definitely package from Katie Phelan. I didn't know Cinnamon Toast Crunch could be mailed internationally and the PCT's loved the Candy Canes.

Who's deal is it?
It's me's
Wow, we speak way too much Ghanaian English

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude... I can`t speak English anymore after being abroad for years. It`s one of the fun bits you have to look forward to. Many congrats on completing your training, Jackson Pride! Your comment on having a bag ready for evac made my day. I have a 'quake pack' next to my door, ready to go when the big one hits! Take care buddy!

Huds