Monday, December 22, 2008

Welcome to Kpetoe

Computer Lesson number 1 to Ghanaians will be don't give your password to family members, they may post old photos of you. Thanks guys.


This is a holiday season that I’ll never forget. My time at site so far has been pretty legit. I’ve had 3 visitors already so the villagers think I’m the most popular American ever. Adam and Renee both at least they said they really enjoyed my 20 minute each way guided walk into Togo, I have a feeling I’ll be taking a few people on that thrilling walk. It even includes international waters, a 2 foot wide steam that marks the border. Renee brought me a box from my parents that was Christmas and birthday pretty much. I now am officially going insane because I listen to BBC and Voice of America everyday on the shortwave they got me. I’m also quickly turning into a huge football fan. English Premier League games are the closest thing to American sports so I’ve picked up Arsenal as my team and have a big cedi (90 cents) bet on today’s game against Liverpool. Actually I’m not sure when the game is, it might have been yesterday but they’re playing it on TV tonight. 30 pesewa (25 cents) gets you into the village spot with a TV to watch the game. I hope they win/won.

I also joined the local football team, a very Dan thing to do I’m told by another volunteer. I think they let me on the team because I’m white, they’re real good. They’re called Junior Arsenal but they’re all university aged kids which means 20+ years of football under their belts. Despite Cody, Darren, and Malcolm’s mentoring for 4 years of indoor soccer my footwork isn’t exactly with theirs yet. If we play on a full size field I do pretty well actually cause I can run and there’s room but when we practice everyday it’s on a basketball court sized field. The goals are cement blocks stood up on their ends. The second practice I figured out that you had to hit the block for it to be a goal rather than putting the ball between the block and a post a foot away, stupid language barrier, I thought I scored like 3 times the first practice. If you ever wonder why Ghanaian football teams are so good at offense and stink on defense it’s because this is how they play a lot and if you leave 1 man back, he can just stand in front of the block.

Renee and I found the best fufu we’ve both ever had in Ghana, it’s completely across town but I go there for dinner most nights. One night they didn’t have fufu and goat, both favorites, but rather banku and grass cutter (huge rodent), not both favorites but not horrid. The owner felt bad and now I have 2 cell phone numbers that I’m to call if I’m coming. If I don’t come they call me and make sure I’m fine.

My neighbors a chicken coup away are my favorite Ghanaian family here. Michael is 10 and the smartest Ghanaian kid I’ve met, so he’s not Kwoko but he’s still pretty cool. Bless is 17 and he’s always with me pretty much, he’s a good kid. Fidelis is 22 and a captain of the Junior Arsenal team. Bless and Fidelis go to school down in Keta so they’re just home until mid January. They also found me a “bench press and weights” to use while mine get built. I’m gonna try to put some weight back on, I’ve dropped 20ish since I got here, all that running and football and no Arnie’s food to steal. 177 is not a good weight for me.

As for actual work, boo, I’ve met the paramount chief who is really cool. Our huge kente meeting got canceled due to a neighboring chief’s death. Basically everything is being put off until the election is over which is nice because it gives me time to settle in and learn as much about kente as I can. The first 3 months we’re just supposed to be integrating but I doubt they’ll let me do just that. This election stuff does suck because I haven’t gotten mail in 2 weeks and I know I have at least a package or 2 waiting for me in Accra. I won’t be able to get them until January 3rd at the earliest.

Birthday’s and holidays away from home are just not fun but besides that I really am enjoying this stuff. Merry Christmas from Ghana!!


PS. I think I just set up a PO Box in Ho. This will be for letters only, packages should still go to the Accra address. I love the packages but they are very expensive to send so letters are probably best. My new address is:

Dan Vainner

Hp 345

Ghana, West Africa

I find it hard to believe it's that simple so I'll let you know if it works.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a weather update, we have had over 12 inches of snow in the last 4 days with more to come tomorrow and into Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Danny!!!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Dan! The birthday pictures made me smile-you were so cute! We missed you at the White Elephant swap this year.