Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Weaving Kente is probably a lot of fun. I’ve spent 3 days setting up and I’m not even close to starting yet. I’m the slowest (and loudest somehow) yarn spinner in Kpetoe and I have had to cut each day short for meetings. Bright, my teacher, has had great patience with me and all the knots I’ve made. Despite my lack in skill, I still enjoy it.
The Paramount Chief and I just finished a catalogue for potential sponsors for our annual Kente Festival in September. I say annual but last year it was cancelled due to disputes between big men in the village. The previous years it has grown pretty large and has attracted some legitimate sponsors such as the countries largest breweries. The week will include speed weaving contests, Kente quizzes, a Ms. Kente Pageant, plenty of Kente stands, and each night will end with a street jamboree. It should be a good time.
On Sunday my dad mentioned my sister took the Kpetoe brochure I made and put it in Microsoft Publisher to clean it up. I decided I should learn it too so I messed around with it. Like the next day the Paramount Chief sends for me and wants me to help with the catalogue. Funny how things work out like that.
Days are starting to go by faster now, well at least this week. My training has kept me pretty busy even when the Kente business doesn’t. I’ve run here more than any Vainner ever should but am still getting some weight back on compliments of my cement weights. I read a ton and have picked up a few other hobbies, like listening to BBC, chess, and Minesweeper. Tripp and I decided last year that there were some things that all Americans should know and we memorized the 50 State Capitals, I started with those and have an entire page of other things I want to memorize. My first big successes have been identifying all the countries in Africa and listing the presidents (US, not GVSU Rowing) in order; I have a little free time.
My buddy Andy and I are organizing the PC Ghana March Madness Pool. It should be interesting since none of us have seen a game this year. I am an early favorite though because I was sent a SI with preseason rankings in it. More interesting will be the phone calls, brackets sealed in envelopes, trust when it comes to the 1 Cedi entry fee, and just getting brackets here come tournament time. The joys of living in a developing nation.

“Well look at your cute little costumes!”
-Jenna from Australia when she saw a picture of the 2003 Lumen Football team’s offensive line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Danny u might not know who I am but am one of your cousins Tim vainner's daughter and I have been read your blogs and talking to aunt sue about what your doing I think it really cool. Also i am learning about this stuff in school so i just think its very interesting to read.