Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dan goes to a Mall

On my way to the PC office I stopped next to the airport at the only mall in Ghana. I have lived a pretty great life so far but I would have to say it was one of the happiest moments of my life. It looked like a mall, smelled like a mall, and WAS a mall, well a small one. I hate malls in the US, ask Lisa, if not for Sears I wouldn't go near them. This had a Nike store even. I was in total disbelief. It wasn't like a dream, I was there but wasn't. I went into the Shopright (grocercy store in a mall, who would do that...jackson) and just had this stupid grin on my face the whole time. I started at one end and just went up and down every isle. When I got to the other end I turned around and did it again. I didn't buy anything but I was so happy, I texted my friends and they couldn't believe what I was telling them. It's only been a little over 4 months but I've never felt like that before. I woke up to chickens clucking and goats whatever they do at my door and 3 hours later I was in a store that was selling PS3s. When I walked out of the mall and came back to Africa it felt kinda depressing but also I was relieved for some reason. Weird.
After that I went to the University of Ghana to get some Kente books and I forgot how much I love college campuses. It was cool to see the similarities and differences between their schools and ours. Now I'm in an AC office on free Internet. Life is good. Half of my mail however seems to be getting sent to Bumuda first and then sent back to the States and then sent here. Somebody get these guys a map. The mail I did get I won't open until I get back, too much happiness is wasteful in one day.
Work is actually moving forward. NCRC, an NGO, is very happy with our progress and is interested in possibly sponsoring our visitor center if we can keep showing progress like we have recently! They sent 2 reps out last week and we had a meeting that I was very pleased with. Our paramount chief is a badass first off, but secondly is very excited about the process so that helps.

http://www.elon.edu/e-net/Note.aspx?id=934818
I think this is a link to an artical about one of the groups that stopped and I talked to, not sure tho, internet keeps freezing up, sorry if it's not.

There's starving Dan Vainner's in Africa- Justin Ott at Fresh Food this morning in Allendale, MI when Sadek threw food away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that you went to the mall-and enjoyed it! Any good sales??
And...the starving Dan Vainner's in Africa comment is priceless!
Aunt Mary