Sunday, March 22, 2009

Going from seeing no Americans to being with double digits of them is a big change. We had a blast and actually learned a lot but after a week and a half of travel and conferences I was ready to get back to my village. Some good times included Amber trying to find jeans in Kumasi’s main market, which makes Shipshewana look tiny. When we travel or bargain it saves the girls lots of money and hassle to have a husband. They kept wanting me to go into the “changing room” (a curtain they put in front of the entire stall) with my wife to make sure I liked the jeans, and thought I was crazy for letting her pick out her own pair.
I also found a city that I like more than Ho; Sunyani in the Brong Ahafo region. We had pizza with cheese that cost me 3 days pay at a 3 star hotel after swimming in the pool, so worth it. That night we went out with a bunch of British students and volunteers. They thought it was cute to call me Ginger to which I coughed 1812 back (barely a win I know but they didn’t). Then they wanted to do US vs. Britain 5 man chug off, and in the words of Adam Luck, “We ain’t scared.” The Ghanaians wanted to join too. We lined up and I was first against some giant 3 inches taller than me. I made my college buds proud though and beat him and with Steve as last man we beat them. The Ghanaians didn’t understand and drank all theirs at once so they won. This is the culture exchange PC wants right?
After that mini vacation I got back to site with lots of work to do, something that is very nice. The welcoming back was very touching. It’s frustrating though because we need our entire tourism board to approve the constitution before NCRC starts planning to build our visitors centre. Wednesday was market day in Ho, Thursday was market day here, Friday was funeral day, Saturday our Secretary was out of town, and Sunday is Church. Lately if I get a little frustrated I just go weave. I’m not good at it but I’m not horrible anymore. A group of Canadians came 2 days ago and I let them try it on my loom. They wrecked a good 6 inches of my cloth but better mine than one of the master weavers. One of the kids paid in Canadian money and Bright thought he was rich when he got a Canadian nickel.
This morning I was asked to read at mass, as if I don’t have enough attention focused on me. I wish I had a camera with me; it was scary but pretty cool to read in front of a pole barn full of people so different than me but still there for the same reason.
I’ve started to get serious about building a basketball court here. I have people in the District Assemble and the Paramount Chief looking for the best site for it and I’m starting to work on quotes. Once I get a quote I’m going to do a proposal through the PC website that let’s me list my project and ask friends and family to donate to it until it’s reached. That’s means if you’re reading this I’m probably going to bug you for a little donation, sorry. I don’t think it will be all that expensive though and huge family is definitely a perk of being catholic. I know it would get tons of use.
This week is pretty exciting because my real sister Beth is having her second kid! When I got the call for her first one I left the girl I was on a date with to go see them (a fact which Katie still gives me hell about). Sorry Beth, don’t think I’ll be making it for this one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you put Shipshewana in your blog! Awesome, it's like 10-15 minutes away from the lake house.

And you owe me a second date after your sister has her baby. You thought I gave you hell the first time :) Miss ya! - Katie

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
Sounds like tings are going well,sorry I have not been on in awhile,image I now have to to do work at my job!!! GO MSU in the sweet sixteen. Have you been in contact with your Aunt Ann Liebner?
I hope you enjoyed all of your package goodies ,we'll be sending more soon.
Aunt Roseose