Tuesday, March 3, 2009

This last week has flown by but nothing too thrilling has happened. At Ash Wednesday service the whole church (think pole barn) was packed and thoroughly entertained that you could actually see the Ashes on my forehead unlike theirs, as I’m the first white person to attend St. Stephens.
Since PC won’t let me go to Accra to get packages and tickets to the Blackstars World Cup Qualifier I went to Keta beach Saturday. Keta is gorgeous. It’s a strip of land only 2 k wide between the Atlantic Ocean and Keta Lagoon. The Lagoon is wide enough that you can’t see the other side but there’s no beach there so go to the ocean side. A Rastafarian man operates a hut with ice block chilled drinks and food that they literally go catch after you order. I had some grilled barracuda, after about a 2 hour wait, that was pretty good for fish. There is an insane undercurrent so I never go out past shoulder height but even there the waves are powerful and fun.
Business has been slow lately so that means that I get to weave more. Right now I’m doing a pattern that only requires me to weave with one color so it should be easy. The set up was harder because that is where the pattern is in this cloth, so now I make good progress in a day. I am the tallest weaver anyone can remember so it’s not exactly comfortable in my loom. I’m sorer (more sore?) after a few hours of that than after a work out.
The 13 S.E.D. (small enterprise development) volunteers have our In Service Training (IST) back in Kukurantumi starting Monday for a week and then I have some Volunteer Action Committee (VAC) meeting so I will have to be away from site for almost 2 weeks. I’m excited to see my buds from training and to visit with my host family but I don’t want to be away from site that long.
There was a lion attack about 10 k from my village, good thing my running route is the other way. They were going out with tranquilizers last I heard, I want to see it if they get it.

“All of Congo could play and they still could not score on the Blackstars”- Mukaila as the Blackstars beat the Democratic Republic of Congo 3-0.

No comments: