Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sunday at mass, which is usually 3 hours of Ewe that I just sit or read the bible during I thought I heard English. I looked up and listened and it was English. Turns out the youth group decided that since some people, aka me, didn’t understand Ewe they would also do the readings in English. Now I can't doze off, that would kinda defy the whole idea.
The workshop that I’m at is easily the most relevant information I have received since I got here. We have had presentations and collected information from USAID, NCRC, and West African Trade Hub. My supervisor was also here so we worked on my village’s tourism constitution which is taking forever. It didn’t take much to convince me that exporting should not be my first focus but rather getting tourists to come to my site. The computer they brought to make the presentations wasn’t working so they used mine. The entire group of 40+ got some good laughs out of my pictures when the screensaver came up on the projector and Adam Luck was sure to not let them take it down too soon. During one of the HIV/AIDS lessons there was some major discussion among the Ghanaians about if you could get AIDS from putting breast milk in your eye to calm an itch, as you can tell the lessons are needed, and who does that?
Some other great perks of this meeting have been the reunion of 13 of us, going to see my homestay family (with my new 2 month old niece), and getting more of my Christmas packages! The PCVS love my family as we finished off boxes of cookies in record time. I was sad that the package that had sweatpants for my little brother Kwoko hadn’t gotten here yet but I’ve rarely had a warmer reception. Mama Aggie did her normal DAN DAN DAN song and dance and Nana kept saying “Is this a dream?”
Compared to the other guys I’d have to say my site is pretty sweet. Like lots of things are headed in the right direction, I’m really lucky. My mom sent me a great idea that I’m excited to get back to site to make, stationary with kente. Just a small bit on the front of the card makes a really cool product. Mr. Agba really loves the brochures that my family helped me get printed and they will really help to get some awareness of Kpetoe until the visitors center gets built.

No comments: