Wednesday, April 15, 2009

We had around 26 people come to Ho Ho Ho Easter and I would have to say that we pulled it off pretty well, though I’ve used my entire monthly allowance already. Julie spent even more and was such a great host. With my site being so close I came back a few times with other people to show them my village, kente, and let them weave. Hanging out with friends, Euchre, chess, maybe a beer or two and selling kente, what else could I want?
The neighborhood kids thought that Alan was my dad and Marian was my sister (they’re married). My kente vest and matching tie made their debut for Easter mass as well. I looked like a Vegas card dealer.
We have great group, came in with 42, swore in 40, and still have 40 which is unheard of. The group that is leaving in 3 months (more goodbyes..) has 22 left and 2 of them were transferred from Kenya when they evacuated. We’re not the newbies anymore come June 4th when around 80 new trainees arrive.
Lately I’ve had to get online for my assignment a lot which has really been awesome to catch up with people from back home and still manage to be at or near the top of my fantasy baseball league (Ya Kpride of Kpetoe). This brings me to the big question, what the heck is Twitter? I’ve been gone 200 days and I’m already out dated.
Things have been changing here too. Prices are soaring due to inflation and our living allowance doesn’t adjust (I still live comfortably for now because I brought USD and still mooch off my parents 6,000 miles away). In Kpetoe they are working on our 3rd cell phone tower and paving our second road. I’ve even heard talk of an internet café opening within a few months. Within a year or so I would think that a lot of PCV’s will get internet on their cell phones. I really wish some of you could see what it’s like here because it’s not at all what I expected and I’d already been to West Africa.
Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t America at all. If you dropped into a day in my life you would definitely notice so much more than I do now, but you get used to it. I do still think 2 kids who just walked by in winter coats and hats, it’s like 75, are humorous. 2 of the 3 goals of PC are about cultural exchange and I’ll try to get more film of some of the daily occurrences here posted soon. If anyone has any questions or topics that they’re curious about just let me know, it’s part of my job and I’d rather answer questions than just talk about me all the time.

“Whose cows are these?”- Front page story in the Dailey Graphic complete with picture of cows walking around the capital city. They literally wanted someone to claim the cows and get them out of there.

1 comment:

cold extremities said...

“Whose cows are these?”- Front page story in the Dailey Graphic complete with picture of cows walking around the capital city. They literally wanted someone to claim the cows and get them out of there.


I wish our newspapers ran like this!