Thursday, April 30, 2009

Last week I had my first repeat tourist. This time she brought a different friend and gave me Girl Scout Cookies. Weave a few hours and people bring me cookies, this ain't so bad. Another guy mentioned that for being in Africa so long I seemed to be in good shape. Then he said that he rowed for his university in England until last year and had lost a lot of weight. Bloody ‘el, fancy that. Needless to say we had a pretty long conversation about Henley, Empachers, Hudsons, and missing the teammates.
We’ve also started selling the stationary and it’s received great reviews. Bright said, “The women, they really like your idea.” I had to clarify for my ego’s sake that it was definitely my mother’s idea.
With the European football leagues approaching their championships there have been a lot of big games lately. Watching games here makes me wish we were this into one sport back home. At the main junction in town the biggest signboard is a chalk board where they list all the games for the week. Everyone in town, especially at the hut with satellite, knows I’m an Arsenal man. Ghana’s best player plays for Chelsea so they’re everyone’s favorite team. Whenever Arsenal scores, I basically get tackled, last night we lost 0-1 so no tackling but plenty of friendly taunting. Sometimes the power goes off during the game and you have to guess who won, adds a whole new aspect to watching sports. When I ride my bike through town I hear lots of “ARSENAL”, “Go Chelsea”, or there is the mechanic that calls me “Junior Agogo” (my favorite Blackstar, who recently got cut). I still like baseball a lot better but don’t tell them.

Thought I’d try to get you a better feel for life here rather than just what I do so here’s
A Day in the Life of...

Bless
Age: 17
Occupation: Student
Siblings: lots
Family lives in Kpetoe but he attends Keta Senior High Technical School where he lives in a dorm that has 3 rooms and 100 occupants.
5:00-wake up, morning prayers and brush teeth
5:30-Sweep dormitory, clean rubbish, bathe and dress
6:00-Inspection (checks on beds, facilities, and uniform)
6:15-Go to School
6:30-Clean and sweep campus
7:00-Assembly with morning devotion
7:30-Breakfast of rice pourage and tea
8:00-40 minute classes
12:00-Lunch of Wache (rice and beans), yam, or kenke (fermented corn, not bad)
12:30-More Classes
2:30-Siesta (Spanish?)
3:00-More Classes
5:00-Bathe
5:30-Dinner of Akpla (green yuckiness), Banku (kinda like kenke), or rice
6:00-Required to watch evening news (cool idea)
6:30-Extra classes or study hall
9:30-Back to dorms, homework until sleep

No comments: