Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Obama is coming to Accra July 11th and 12th! When Clinton and W. came they visited our Headquarters, I hope Obama does too. If he does and I get picked to meet him (which won’t happen) I’ll wear my kente vest and tie (which is why). I think he’d look good in Kente.

Water and power were out for a few days last week. The funny thing is just how little my days changed because of that. One day we had some embassy people come out. The Spanish Ambassador’s wife asked me why PC is still in Ghana because “it’s a very peaceful nation.”

Mom and Dad had to do an international handshake via MoneyGram so I can go up north to visit my friends last weekend. (Julie says my mom is the best PCV ever). A few summer volunteers from Ho came with. Traveling 2 days one way to see people isn’t that big of a deal here, especially when it’s to see my friends from training. Bright, Oscar, Mukailia, and Mr. Agba from my site all checked up on me. Breaks like that really help.

Last week I got the final quote for the basketball court! Inflation hurts, a lot. I’m going to get the proposal in asap so it can get up on the website and hopefully filled before the price increases more. Right now it’s about $5,000. If it gets approved through PC Ghana and then PC Washington it will be given a spot on the PC website where anyone can make any size tax deductible donations. I know it isn’t exactly the ideal time economy wise to be trying this but I wouldn’t be if I didn’t think it was worth it.


Alon-Did you get your haircut?

Dan-No

Alon-Did you dye it?

Dan-No

Alon-It looks good

Dan-I washed it…


A Day in the Life of….

Victoria Ahadzie (“Mrs. Ahadzie” to me)

Age: Even here I don’t ask mothers their age

Occupation: Business Women (market lady) and Housewife

Mother of 4

Notice the tribal markings under her eye, really cool

Her English was slightly better than my Ewe so this is what I got out of it:

5:15-Wake up and pray

5:30-sweep the compound

6:00-Bathe

6:15-Make breakfast for entire family

6:45-Eat

7:00-Clean up after breakfast

7:30-Laundry

10:30-Start making Lunch

12:00-Eat Lunch

12:15-Clean up after Lunch

1:00-Housekeeping

3:00-Start making Dinner

5:30-Eat Dinner

6:00-Clean up after Dinner

8:00-Put kids to bed and close the house down

11:30-Pray

12:00-Go to bed

*Every 4 days is market day and she takes the young girls. The girls sell pure waters off the top of their heads, she sells slippers and fabric.

No comments: