Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Last weekend my church hosted over 2000 people from the rest of the diocese. One of the events was a "5k." With all the training I've been doing lately I figured I could do pretty well. When we were being driven out to the start it was obvious this was more than 5k, it ended up being like 10kish. At the start 65 Ghanaians took off at a sprint and I was like, have fun guys, you'll be seeing my backside in a few miles (saw that on a running shirt once, it's a bad thing in rowing to have you backside seen). Well a few of them flied and died, but not nearly as many as I thought. The problem with being the only white person is that no one wants to get passed by you. I would pass someone then they would sprint back ahead of me and we'd repeat a few times until they finally quit. This was like every person that I passed. I steady stated it and had to bust out a Dan Vainner sprint to not lose to a 9 year old in sandals, no joke, he was fast. I ended up getting 12th so my new goal for the marathon is to just finish.
The stationary has been selling faster than we can make it which is great.


A Day in the Life of…
Michael
Age:12
Student at CEPS School Complex
Level 5
Wants to be a football player or 1st Ghanaian to play baseball in America
Neighbor and personal favorite
5:00-Wake up and brush teeth
5:15-Sweep compound
5:30-Eat Ken-key (pounded millet)
6:00-Wash dishes and bathe
6:30-Dress for school then go ask Dan what he is doing today
6:45-Walk to School
7:00-Classes (English, Math, Science, Environment Studies, ICT, Citizenship, Art)
10:30-Break
10:45-Classes Continued
12:00-Lunch (beans and rice) and Football
1:00-Final Classes
2:00-Walk home
2:15-Eat snack (rice)
2:45-Play (football, baseball, American football)
5:00-Study
6:00-Dinner (banku)
6:30-Wash dishes and bathe
7:00-Watch film or study
8:00-Bed

2 comments:

Wuntera said...

love this 'day in the life!' What a good idea. I knew I was marrying you for a reason.

Anonymous said...

haha I love how Michael asks you what you are doing every day. Good luck with your marathon training!
-Kelsey Arnold