Friday, May 15, 2009

Tuesday I finished my first pattern and have like 300 feet of it. Matching smock, camera case, and laptop case is pretty sweet right? I’m excited to start my next pattern but that will have to wait until next month. My tailor has taken like 3 weeks longer than he said he would on my set of bags for home but I won’t even think about changing tailors, he’s good, really funny, and they’re coming out great. Hopefully next month I can afford to ship them, maybe they’ll get there in time to be Christmas presents.
Sunday Bright took me out to a village that makes pots. The ride out there was just as cool as the village. It’s close enough that if visitors want to see kente and pots being made we can do a combo.
When visiting a village you are supposed to see the chief and inform him of your mission. We were well trained in how to handle these greetings but I don’t get it. Why do I have to either pay for or bring Schnapps when meeting a chief? Then they go around in a circle with a shot glass and fill it up, you pour some on the ground as an offering then you drink the rest. This sounds like something Tripp, Cody, and I would have freshmen on the rowing team do for us. I know PC reads these so I’ll say I have nothing against Africa Traditions like this, you just don’t pay us enough to support the good ole’ boys drinking habits.
Someone called Mr. Agba (I put his number on our brochure) and I was out on a run, when I got back…
-Oh Daniel, your brother, he call and liked the distings (word for EVERYTHING and he can never remember “stationary”)
-(Budgey would not like stationary so) Ah, what was his name?
-I forget, he wants to make a deal for the distings.
-Awesome, did you get his number or anything?
- No, he asked if I was Peace Corps.
- What did you say?
-I told him I am not Peace Corps, I am his father! (starts laughing and patting me on the back)
We didn’t make a deal but Mr. Agba was very pleased with himself.

A Day in the Life of….
Bright


Age: 26
Occupation: Master Weaver at weaving centre & Tour Guide in Training
One of the 2 fastest weavers I know
Mon-Saturday
5:30-Wake up and bathe
6:00-Get porridge and buy daily supplies if needed
7:00-Start weaving
1:00-Lunch of rice and beans
1:30-Weave
3:45-Fix all the errors Dan has in his weaving so far that day
6:00-Close at centre
6:30-Dinner of banku or fufu
7:00-Relax (TV or friends)
8:00-Sleep

No comments: