Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tomorrow we're Ghana go to Ghana

Tomorrow morning we get some shots then bus to New York and fly out. It was just yesterday that I left home but it's definitely something how much things have changed already. Being here with 40 some other people that are the same type of person as I am is crucial to me not freaking out. Inside my heart is beating like crazy but mentally, I'm perfectly calm.
We're a good bunch that likes to have fun and laugh. There's a girl from Nebraska named Hannah but last night at the pub I would only call her "Nebraska." It caught on and today when the instructor tried to call on her she said, "I don't know what you're name is but I know you're from Nebraska." We got a lot of people from California and Texas, I'm the only Michigander. It reminds me of that scene in the 1st Lord of the Rings when all the guys are coming in from different lands. I'm the youngest one here but I rarely notice that.
Katie Phelan would be proud of me, I haven't opened any of the letters yet but I get to tomorrow! That offsets the fact that tomorrow I will take my last shower with running water and maybe electricity.

I've had some requests for why I'm doing PC. If you listened to JFK's speech when he was introducing it, you'd want to do it too. I personally loved the few weeks that I spent in Mali over 5 years ago now. Seeing how they live and what they value has really formed me into the person I am now. I promised I'd be back, tomorrow I go back. I really hate how America is viewed in the world right now. I know that even if I do as well as I can I will only be able to improve a few people's opinions but if a few people change a few people's opinions it quickly becomes a lot of people. I know that I'm pretty dang lucky to have all that I have in life and I got to do what I can to share that. Let's be honest too, it's just an interesting thing to do and great stories and friends will come.
This might be my last blog for a while so that's my excuse for it being so long and unorganized. Thanks to all those back home that have kept me in their thoughts and prayers, you're in mine as well.

PS I do have a skype account dan.vainner if anyone else does and would be interested in video chatting sometime let me know.

4 comments:

Ryan Eggenberger said...

Good luck, Dan. I will pray for you every day by name. And I'm in the seminary so I have time to do that!
Ryan Eggenberger

Anonymous said...

Enjoy that last shower and drink some really cold water, and chew on lots of ice on the plane might be the last time for awhile. Gonna miss you, praying for ya!
Beth, Andy and Bren (your fav nephew)

scott said...

Good luck Danny. I know you'll do great things. Just remember to be who you are and be that well. Suaviter et Fortiter.
Scotty

Brian King said...

Well placed Lord of the Rings reference. Good Luck!

-Brian