Wednesday, January 7, 2009

100th Day in Ghana

Bless called me on New Years Eve saying “a fowl was in my house and was spoiling many things.” I didn’t know if it was a “foul” like a robber or a “fowl” like a chicken, either way not good. I got there and my kitchen was trashed and there was poop EVERYWHERE, chicken poop, not robber poop. I searched for it but the chicken had left already through the small hole in my screen that it got in through. She even left an egg on my desk. I spent the rest of the night cleaning up and passed out at like 11, Happy New Year. My neighbors felt horrible, Michael caught the chicken and brought it to me ready to kill it. At first I was frustrated, but how do you get mad when a chicken gets in your house? As my buddy Andy texted, “How many of your friends can say that happened to them?” Or you could go with Adam’s text, “That sucks/is hilarious.” I’ve blocked up the holes and took it as a life lesson.
After almost exactly a month the election is finally over. Atta Mills won and my village went nuts, kinda scary. They all put white powder all over them, drove around screaming, and even burning flags of the losing party. When they lit a scarecrow on fire representing the guy who lost I decided it was time to go back to the bungalow. It makes you think if our first elections were similar. The worst part for us was the “Standfast” which meant no travel and for some reason no mail. This made for what will hopefully be the loneliest few weeks of my life. A few of my buds almost went home. My buddy Steve was stuck in Accra the whole time and is hopefully bringing me all my mail so I get a late birthday/Christmas today.
I’ve started teaching computers from scratch and really enjoy it. Hopefully this week I’ll also start learning how to weave kente and schedule my first tourism management team meeting. Now that the elections are over people can focus on other things actually which means things will pick up. Hope all is well back home.

No comments: