Friday, January 23, 2009

Living the Life?

I feel like a real PCV now. Things happen and I think completely differently than I used to. I was in a tro jammed with 20+ people and 1 of the 2 kids in a mom’s lap behind me threw up a little onto the seat like 2 inches from me. The lady sitting there got really mad and jammed her way to the next row up, to me it was “Alright, more leg room.” I can seriously sit and wait for hours and be perfectly content, like 3 days ago I went to Ho to buy a bike and get on the internet. I paid for the bike and will get it in a month and the internet was going to be fixed in an hour all day and I had to email my supervisor, it never got going (nor did it the next 2 days). I wasn’t even mad because I still got back in time to go to my chop bar for fufu with chicken! I go there more than anyone in town and prefer chicken to goat or grasscutter so the owner calls me in the beginning of the week to see how many times I’ll be coming that week, if it’s enough he’ll do a pot of chicken brown nut soup. Not all of this is good, sometimes I can just feel myself getting mentally slower. The way I travel, eat, dress, don’t shave and pretty much just live is very different than how I used to but I’m getting the hang of it.
I’ve been in a great mood for a long time, ever since I started getting mail again, coincidence? The new PO Box works! Just letters though, I would still send packages to Accra, a US Embassy worker is there when they open them. I try to avoid that city however, I don’t like traffic. I still have some Christmas packages there I think but they’re not too great about letting us know.
I got to see some PCVs that I haven’t seen in a long time, one since like my second week in country! It was really refreshing and we had a ton of fun. 2 of my favorite PCVs ever leave this summer already. It makes you realize just how short of a time you are here. They’ve done so much and I hope I can match them. Karley found people back home to donate 7 laptops to bring the first computers to her village and got the school power to open a computer lab on top of teaching a full schedule. I play football and eat.
I’m currently writing the NBA Cares because I want to get Kpetoe its first basketball court so bad. It would be pretty cheap actually in US dollars (working on an exact quote but it’s hard with labor and inflation, my very rough guess right now is $2,000-$4,000) for a good court that would get tons of use. My favorite tailor was on the national armed forces team so he and I would coach. The court we played on during training was bad but got used a ton. Team sports and fitness is huge and all but on top of that PCVs have just started using sporting events to promote HIV/AIDS awareness. Due to the popularity of sports you can make a presentation at halftime of a game with white people in it and get to so many people. If I can give these kids access to a new sport, one which they idolize its stars, and get the word out a little more on HIV/AIDS then I think I have to do it with or without the NBA’s help, preferably with.
I tracked down some badminton rackets and can’t wait to set up a new somehow, mom’s proud. The Finnish documentary maker single handedly doubled our sales over the last 2 months; I’m glad people thought we were brothers and introduced us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan!
I'm wondering about you contacting NIKE for donations-like b-balls. I got a grant for school through them pretty easily. It might be worth a try.
Aunt Mary