Thursday, January 29, 2009

I’m stoked to go get Accra mail on the 5th, I still have xmas and bday packages there I guess, real mature PC. I have lots to (besides mail even) in Accra it’s frustrating that PC has made me wait so long to go there. My buddy Marcus will be there then though. He lived his last year of college in a minivan so this is an upgrade to him, he cracks me up.
It’s the heart of the dry season here, 30 seconds of rain in the last 45 days. They set bush fires to flush out grass cutters to hunt, I tried to explain deer hunting and blinds to them but they think that’s just beyond stupid, maybe it is. The fires look pretty cool at night but they are horrible for the environment and they burn EVERYTHING including utility lines. We lose power all the time, the internet was out for 4 days, and our phones have been acting all jacked up. Normally I wouldn’t mind because this is Africa but I was supposed to be in contact with a few NGO’s and my supervisor. Being an American middle man in deals between a French NGO and Ghanaian villagers is not all that fun. This week hasn’t been fantastic but even my off weeks I still get to do cool stuff.
I spent a weekend walking to the tiny villages around Kpetoe, no roads to them. By tiny I mean like 6-20 huts total, insanely cool. I’d like to say that I did a lot but honestly any white person could have (true with about all I do). Oscar and I are trying to set up saving schemes for them and if Oscar goes by himself they don’t trust him, but if a white person tells them to save money and keep books they listen and their chiefs give him kente, coconuts, and palm wine.
I met a guy who’s trying to export kente. He’s like a Ghanaian big deal but so chill. He has a huge picture of him and Mr. and Mrs. W. Bush. He’s been to Cedar Point (with some congressman!) so we spent 15 minutes complete with sound effects and motions describing roller coasters to Mukaila.
Tuesday was my buddy Steve’s bday so we met up in Ho, the NGO capital of Volta. Lumen would disown me but it took Steve and me 30 minutes to figure out who was in the Super Bowl. It was pretty cool because at the table of 11 we had 7 countries represented. One of the girls was an exchange student in Charlotte, MI, how small is this world? I’m glad I wasn’t the only American or else Japan would think we’re all jerks. When a guy said he was from Tokyo I asked him what big city that was around. The Ausie next to me backhanded me.
I’m currently 3 days into the set up process for weaving, I can’t wait. We’ll see how it turns out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan! Kendra and I are sending you something I'm sure you'll appreciate!

Unknown said...

Dan! Seriously...Charlotte, MI? Wow small world. Now if you only run into someone from good ole ER (or has even heard of it) then I think you get brownie points :)

Anonymous said...

How sweet to run into someone from Michigan! The Steelers beat the Cardinals yesterday 27-21. It was a pretty good game. I'm not sure if you found out yet. I hope everything is going well for you, sounds like a great experience so far. Take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

We have to work on your Japanese geography bud. I will send you a map. COME ON YOU SPURS!!!

Huds(no longer in)Japan