Thursday, January 15, 2009

The country was at a standstill for elections and now they're trying to make up for lost time it seems which is great, I've actually been busy in Africa! I had a tour bus of 50 college kids from ELON (in NC) stop and when I walked over they were like, "Are you here to buy kente too?" I said, "No, I live across the street." After about 10 minutes of kente talk it switched to PC/Dan questions. I haven't spoken in in front of a group since spring banquet and my English is fading quickly so I hope I wasn't too bad. PC owes me though, I gave out a ton of PC info but I really do love what I'm doing so why not encourage others?
The last 4 days I've spent with a Finnish couple, the guy is a documentary maker and the woman is a textile expert. Kente was a perfect fit for them and add it to the fact that they hadn't seen the sun in over a month in Finland, they loved Kpetoe. Mr Agba and Oscar are the main 2 people interviewed! They were so happy, Mr. Agba made me a sweet kente bag as thanks. Maybe it kinda looks like a purse but I got no one to impress here. I delayed my kente lessons so the woman could use my loom so I'm excited to get started soon. It'll be about 4 or 5 months until Annte gets me the finished product but any exposure we can get kente is great. He wants to sell things like my purse in Finland, men there would like it, jk.
I forget that what I'm doing is different because most people I talk to are also PCVs. I was shocked when Annte wanted to interview me but I hadn't shaved in a few days and I think a Polack wouldn't really add to the Africa feel in the documentary. Ya, Dan Vainner turned down an interview, Cit Pat and Lanthorn would write an article about that. But I wrote about it in this so my modesty is still same level don't worry.
Right now I'm in a HUGE city. It's like America, well to me, and it's really weird. I haven't been in a big city since my first week here, I got ice cream and beef, I like Kpetoe better.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

After living in a smaller city for so long, when I went home to GR I was in shock - it is HUGE!
Glad to hear you are still cocky!
<3