Monday, October 27, 2008

Boti

We had been pretty intense with classes so they decided to give us a field trip. It may have had to do with one of the 2 main presidential candidates coming to our town that day too. As PC we're not allowed to partake in anything to do with the election but we still get to learn about it, it's pretty exciting.
The field trip however was absolutely amazing. We went to Boti Falls. There are 2 huge waterfalls over 30 meters each, into the same pond. Omar and I were the first to jump in despite the signs. About 30 of us ended up going in and it was like kindergarten recess again. We were all just so excited about being completely covered in water and almost cold! It was easily one of the most refreshing and exhilarating things I've ever done, a few of us went into the falls as much as you could. After the swim we went on a 2 hour hike up and down semi mountains through a cave, and up to the top of an umbrella rock, what a view. West Africa has such thick vegetation and it's so green.
That night we got back and the city was still going nuts for the presidential candidate so we decided to have Team Ubroni, white person, take the only basketball court in town. I wish I had taken video tape of them playing. They have seen way too many and1 videos and not enough layup practice. We volunteers didn't lose any of the 10 games we played despite their cheating with scores, 4 steps before every shot or pass and fouls. I showed them what damage Polish Thunder can do down low.
This week they forgot our mail in Accra, that's a low blow so instead I've trekked to the internet cafe a few times. I don't want to spoil myself as I'll probably only be able to go to Ho, the major city near my site, once a week tops to get online. I'm ready for training to be over and become an official PCV, no more of this PCT stuff. Talking to current volunteers it sounds like I really got lucky in my site placement.
Some highlights have been:
*My entire family watching me sew up the rip I got in my pants dancing to Journey at a spot (a guy that can sew isn't as odd to them here but still amusing).
*Whenever the closest volunteer to me, Adam, walks by they call him Daniel. They yell out Obruni usually and I know just enough twi to correct them and say, " My name is not white person, it is Daniel, how would you like it if I called you black person?"
*Adam, Mike, and I went on a 45 minute quest to find FanIce late at night downtown. FanIce is a gift directly from god. It's basicaly frozen frosting that you suck out of a plastic bag.
*my malaria dreams: it's like reality TV every night. I never realize I'm in Africa when I wake up until I trip on my mosquito net.

I miss you guys back home a lot but am really excited about what I'm doing for the next 2+ years. People say that the PC is a lot like being pregnant, at first it's exciting but the first 9 months stink. Then after that it's pure joy.

"You visit East Africa for the scenery and West Africa for the people."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you "schooled" anyone in basketball, they better start that weaving they do over there. I still have that trophy that Coach Crowley gave you for being so bad!

Be good

Dad

Anonymous said...

...and you visit South Africa for the 2010 WORLD CUP!!! Better see you there, bud!

hudsinjapan

Brian King said...

everyone knows that I am the one who made you look good on Cucci's Huccis