Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ghana so Far

Things so far have been going pretty perfectly. We've lost no one from our group and that's very rare. The ambassadors dinner was really fun. Ana and I did some swing dancing to a live band on the patio and it was really run. Shirley Temple was the ambassador back in the day and installed a pool. In the last 10 years Clinton, Bush, and Mrs. Bush have all been to the main PC headquarters in Accra because it's a very welcoming country and the PC is so strong here.
Yesterday was probably the most fun I've had in a long time. We paired up and were sent into Accra to accomplish certain missions. Cynthia and I had a blast. In the first tro-tro (taxi) I paid for her which was perfectly fine. In the next she paid for me to get even. Everyone in the tro-tro laughed at me because a woman was paying for me. Then we bought a water pouch and I whipped out my leatherman to cut it open, way too wide open. Turns out you're supposed to bite a tiny whole in them, not cut a huge corner off, we got a little wet but we laughed a lot.
We eventually got led to some shops literally on the beach, so pretty. They gave us drums to play while they were getting us merchandise. They thought we were husband and wife, we told them friends. They said friends first, love second, wife third.
They were really nice so I wanted to buy something from them but we didn't have much money. I ended up getting the badass shirt I'm wearing now for 11 cedi. He started at 30 cedi and everyone said I got a good deal so I'm pleased. After that we walked along the shore and beach for like an hour. I almost went up into the lighthouse in the pier but Cynthia stopped me from going up there with some random guy, probably a good idea.
Now I'm in the 2nd largest city, Kumase at the PC sub office. After a day of travel I'll sleep here tonight then head out with Karley to live with her for 5 days for my vision quest. This will be my first village experience since Mali. Being white here draws so much attention to you. They all think we're rich, which comparitively speaking is true. Today for example I had a 5 hour tro-tro ride, 2 beers, a shot, a chicken and rice dinner, and a kabob for about 9 cedi total (just under $9).
It's not America at all, but I think I could get to like it here. Things here are just at a much slower pace.
There is so much to say right now but there is just now way that I could fit it all and I don't want to bore anyone. I'll know my site assignment by next Monday and should have a cell sometime around this Thursday.
Go BoSox.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear everything is going well. Who is this girl? Does Chrissy approve? Just kidding. Keep representing America. Take Care
-Cody

Go Bosox's

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. Yes, you won the "Vainner Cup". GVSU won Big 49-0. Tiffin looked like LC size wise and they wore green and gold. 65 was a tall skinny lineman! BoSox go for the sweep tonight.
Take Luck -Dad

Anonymous said...

Tell anything and everything we're all excited to ear any details you have to share. Can't wait to see pics!
love ya,
Beth

Lindsey said...

Glad to hear that everything is going well (and that you are on the first step on the road to marriage...lol)!!

Kyle said...

Hey Dan, I'm glad to hear everything is going so well. I realized that you may want to keep up with news state side, so I have set up a blog for YOU to read. I (and my collaborators) will keep you posted on everything you will need to know back here, including sports, politics and pop culture. Feel free to make requests.
http://mericandream.blogspot.com/
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that it's going well. Make sure you hit me up with that cell #! Man we though $1 beer nights were a deal... little did we know. Speaking of that, how's the beer there? Miss you Danny.