Friday, October 10, 2008

Swing of Things

Heck ya Bosox. I hope we get to beat Manny in an East/West coast series.

In Ghana sporting news, Team Obruni, white person, won 5 straight games a few nights ago. Karley and I organized a football game a few nights ago. It was like out of Fields of Dreams, the kids came out of the fields with their cleats in hands to play on a dirt field with 2 stick for each goal. 65ish in total so we played pickup winner stay if it's a tie go to a shoot out style. They said You are very strong, which I think is African for you run around and push hard but suck at soccer. They asked what team I played for in America and I said the Smokey Bandits so now they think it's some American Premier League team.
Anyways the 5 day site visit was truely awesome. Karley is a transfer from Kenya and can cook like no other. She even taught me some. One day we visited Alison from Michigan. She works at a Deaf School and they used ASL! I could communicate with them better than most Africans. Karley is a teacher so I got to sit in on the classes which was amazing. My Twi is coming along very well actually thanks to all my practice back in the states.
Now all my group of volunteers is back together. Tonight is our last night in a hotel and tomorrow we get our host families for the next 9 weeks of training. This morning I got locked in my room and thankfully my buds got me a leatherman so that I could break out, I felt like a badass. Monday is the big day, we get our site placements. The regions of ghana are about as diverse as the US but it's the size of Oregon so it's crazy and where you end up will really tell you what type of stay you will have. I had my last interview today and I asked for a small village but we'll see. It was a hard choice.
I've gotten lots of emails about the cost of things here. It's my retirement plan I think. A round of shots for 5 guys will cost you under 1 CD, almost a dollar, and you don't tip. 3 dollars, that's more than I tip my server at Arnies.
Speaking of Arnies, I miss those people and the food a lot. Not sure which one more, jk. Actually food has been very good. We get really excited about pasta night. Back to Arnie's tho, I've told the story of Chrissy and I singing Summer Loving at Diversions quite a few times. Peace Corps people are really all just huge dorks.
So much to say and so many stories to tell but I don't want to bore anyone. I really feel at home here but I haven't been on my own too much yet. We did get the first batch of mail and those of us who's friends didn't send them stuff while we were still in the states didn't get any. We wrote each other instead. I tried to mail Therese a Ghana Black Stars bandanna but it was too thick, sorry kid.
I said I was born on a Saturday so my name could be Kwame in the last village after the great detroit mayor. I was really born on a thursday it turns out so my name here for now is Yaa Dan or something like that, real creative. Miss you guys and don't be afriad to ask any questions, I'm pretty open about them.

"This internet is so slow that I haven't gotten any pictures up yet. So far I made an entire photo album and all I have in it is a picture of some guy making a philly cheesesteak in Philly" Julie.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hahaha - what a badass -- breaking out of rooms! :) Glad you are taking the country by storm!

Anonymous said...

Smokey Bandits Pride!! Excellent stories so far man, I can`t wait to hear more about your time there. Take care!

Chris H.