Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The last few days have been the most exciting and emotional of the PC so far.

Saturday we got placed in our homes. It was done Price is Right style. They called out a family then had the volunteer run up to greet them. The second lady for the business was a short but powerful elderly woman and I go to Katherine sitting next to me, this one is me. It was. My family is pretty dang awesome. The mother speaks no english at all and feeds me way too much. Her name is Agnus, just like my grandma. I call here Mama Aggie. She feel in love with me because I go to Catholic Church with her, all 3 hours of it but that's another story, and I love her cooking. Her husband is like on the town elders counsel and runs the city pretty much. They have about 6 kids I think, kinda hard to tell.
I hang out with the boys around my age a lot but my favorite kids are Emma, 14 and Querko, 8. Emma translates everything for me and doesn't make me feel too stupid. I have one electrical outlet in my room and no running water but the house is very nice. They cook me way too much food and sometimes I'm not sure what it is. They are very proud of me and protective of me too. Last night Adam and I went to the spot literally 200 yards away for a beer and I was 5 minutes late getting back and they sent out 5 people looking for me. Yesterday was the first day our whole group got back together and PC provided us lunch, which I tried to tell Mama Aggie. I ended up walking to class with a backpack full of books and a lunch box. I was the only one that brought a lunch. It's like being in 6th grade again, kinda fun tho.

Yesterday was also a huge day because it was the day we all got our cell phones! my number is 0241317596 . If I call you it won't cost you a thing but costs me a lot of my little pay. I can text you cheaply but not sure when you'll actually get it or if you will so that will be fun. I hear skype is only 15 cents a minute to call here and you can get calling cards. It would make my day to hear from people. Even a Suave/Dan type call of 30 seconds would rock. Don't forget that I'm 4 hours ahead of the eastern time zone and I operate on different hours. I go to bed around 9 here and wake up by 5 and have classes from 8/5. That means calling windows would be from 1 am (perfect for DDs) to 4am and 1pm and 5pm eastern time.

The biggest part about yesterday was our placement though! They drew out a huge map of Ghana with sidewalk chalk and announced us one at a time with dancing. I had asked for a Twi speaking, small village, and to not do tourism. I am now taking Ewe classes 4 hours a day, in a village of 10,000, and doing tourism. At first I was like...umm ok. I've been doing Twi for 2 months almost and now I'll just use it for getting around. The more I read into it the better I feel about it. It's a big project and I'm lucky to get it. I will be living in the Volta Region, the most scenic of the 10 regions in Ghana. It is seperated from the rest of the country by the largest manmade lake in the world, Lake Volta. I am stationed at Kpetoe, pronounced pat away, a village on the border of Togo. Being walking distance from another country will be fun. The best part is that I get to be the only volunteer working with Kente in the city in which it started. If you don't know what Kente is you should look it up as much as you can and let me know anything interesting you find. Simply, its the expensive hand woven fabric that is the most famous in all of Africa, especially West Africa. I will be working with the ecotourism board there and they have set me lofty goals that I'm sure I'll get into later. It's very exciting and a little overwhelming.
Now I live in a house that speaks twi, my english is switching to ghanian english, and I'm trying to learn Ewe. Ewe is harsh, the exact same word can mean gun, closed, or plucked if it's accented in a way. Today at lunch was the first time since I got here that I got down, it sucked. I'm placed literally 26 hours of travel away from my two closest buds Adam and Mikey, working on a pretty important assignment, frustrated with a new language, and not sure what meat was grinded on top of my rice in a bucket for lunch. The hopeless feeling passed didn't last too long but still wasn't fun. Won't be the last time I feel like that I have a feeling.
Last night I showed the boys a lot pictures and they loved them, some really great quotes.
"God has blessed you with many beautiful lady friends, except for that crazy one."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha who's the crazy one??

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan!

I love the posts, sounds like you are having a good time! Stay healthy and be good!

~J. Ott

Anonymous said...

Am I the crazy one? Just because I moved to Wisconsin doesn't make me crazy.
I think you're going to do great things, and I also think you should bring us all cool kente when you get home.
I miss you like whoa though. I'm writing you a letter, but I don't know where the post office is, so it might be a while, but I swear I'm thinking about you!
Merry C

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan!
I love hearing about your adventures so far! I tried to call you but it said that your number was changed or it couldn't go through or something. Not sure... But hopefully you will find your niche in your village and you get settled in soon!
Miss you lots and re-post your phone number so I can call you on my way home from work or something!

Miss you lots!!
Alissa

Anonymous said...

Hey you!
Glad to hear that everything is going so well. Keep taking care of yourself. Miss you ridiculously.